For Book Lovers

This blog is for the book lovers who live for the moments they can sit down with a book and dive into another world. We live for the universes created by today's innovative authors. Welcome.

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Transparent by Natalie Whipple


"Plenty of teenagers feel invisible. Fiona McClean actually is.
An invisible girl is a priceless weapon, Fiona's own father has been forcing her to do his dirty work for years - everything from spying on people to stealing cars to breaking into bank vaults.
After sixteen years, Fiona's had enough. She and her mother flee to a small town, and for the first time in her life, Fiona feels like a normal like is within reach. But Fiona's father isn't giving up that easily.
Of course, he should know better than anyone: never underestimate an invisible girl."

I know this is a terrible thing to do, but I completely bought this book because I thought it looked pretty. I mean the bright colors and I was hooked. I grabbed the book and bought it, didn't even read the back. And sometimes this can be a very stupid thing to do. But boy did I get lucky, because this book was amazing. Not that I am saying judging a book based on its cover is a good thing, but this novel is as good as its cover is intriguing and beautiful.

So ever since I was little, I've always thought being invisible would be the coolest thing in the whole entire world. Nobody would be able to see me. I could stay up as long as I wanted and wouldn't have to eat my vegetables. I would be living the dream. I thought it would be absolutely nothing like the main character, Fiona's, life. At all. I also didn't think the people around me would have amazing abilities like telekinesis, super strength, flying, and night vision, but still. Invisibility would be awesome.

In Fiona's world, everyone is always working for somebody, doing something illegal. And then she runs away with her mom. And has a huge culture shock. Suddenly people are being nice and friendly to her because they want to, not because they want something from her. Woah. In her new town she now has friends, even a best friend, and possibly a love interest? And her crazy brothers, cannot forget them. You may think your siblings are amazing but they have nothing on Fiona's older brothers Graham and Miles. Miles is pretty much the ultimate big brother, not gonna lie.

Even though the world Fiona lives in, with super abilities and syndicates, is very different from the world we live in, there are a lot of similarities. Fiona can't escape her dad and his life of crime in a similar way a person can't seem to escape a vice, their past, or something that just won't let them go. Fiona feels defined by her invisibility and as if people don't treat her as a real person just because they can't actually see her. In our world, a person could feel defined by their hobbies, the people they hang out with, pretty much anything.

Also, like I don't even know what the guys in this book actually look like, but I promise, they are completely swoon worthy. And the girls, actually there's only three other girls but anyways, are nothing but supportive and Fiona is surrounded by some pretty amazing people, even if they don't seem like it at first. Except for her father, who's a criminal, so there's that.

All together, this book was awesome, no other way to explain it. 100% definitely will be reading it again, you know, after I finish my stack.

Two down, sixteen to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment