For Book Lovers

This blog is for the book lovers who live for the moments they can sit down with a book and dive into another world. We live for the universes created by today's innovative authors. Welcome.

Monday, June 29, 2015

Peace, Love, and Baby Ducks by Lauren Myracle


"Wealth, Privilege. That is Carly's like, and guess what. It's. Getting. On. Her. Nerves. Carly is ready to ditch the Southern princess act and become real. The thing is, she's always counted on her little sister, Anna, to love and support her - and tell her how right she is. But when Anna turns "hot" over the course of a summer, everything goes weird. Suddenly Anna's swimming in the deep end with the big girls while Carly watches from the kiddie pool, alone. Carly's always relied on her sister, but now everything is different, and she's not so sure she likes it."

So earlier today my family decided to have a beach day, which immediately made me think "book day!" So I brought along this book that was the original novel in my stack. Now, I did by this when I was twelve, and since then my taste in books has matured, so I was expecting for it to have the same complex plot as many other books I've read more recently, but it still was a delightful book to read. The storyline was light-hearted and easy to follow making it a good beach or pool read.

The sister relationship between Carly and Anna is one that anyone could relate to - whether you have a sister or not. I myself don't have a sister, but elements of their relationship I could identify in many of my friendships, and even in the relationship I have with my brother. Myracle makes it easy for the reader to relate to her main characters, which in turn, makes this a compelling read. The one thing I found annoying is how it was a 'textbook' feeling storyline; I was continuously feeling like I have read this story before by another author. The theme of the plot is something that is very commonly found currently. If you're looking for something different, something you've never read before, I wouldn't recommend this. But if you like this type of storyline, this is an excellent story.

This book overall was a cute, beach read. It was exactly what I was looking for. No serious, hard to grasp themes or concepts or crucial moments you have to remember as you read. A nice casual read, I will definitely be taking this to the beach again.

Three down, fifteen to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment